July 21, 2012 is the 58th Anniversary of The Lord of the Rings and I'd like to encourage everyone to celebrate it with style. Here are several Tolkien-inspired program ideas sure to be a hit with fantasy fans of all ages. (These can be adapted to any library situation, so get ready to adapt some fun!)
- Have a Tolkien scholar from one of the local colleges or universities come in to discuss the impact of Middle Earth on fantasy literature on modern fantasy novels.
- Bring in a movie special effects person to discuss how the effects used in the film adaptations impacted later movies
- Read Lord of the Rings in a book club and have a fantastic time!
- Check you library's movie licensing, you may have permission to show one or all three of the Lord of the Rings films. Depending on your library's hours you can show one or all three films. If you can only show one or two films you might think about having a fun intermission to give viewers a break. Have patrons vote for their favorite Lord of the Rings character then offer a door prize.
- The easiest way to get a Lord of the Rings Trivia Contest up and running is to get a copy of the Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit game. You can use the questions and create your own rules. :)
Whatever you choose to do have fun with it!
**THE HOBBIT PART 1 RELEASES IN DECEMBER 2012**